Friday, September 11, 2009

Patience

This week I learned a lesson in patience. I am not a very patient person by nature, and my patience level has been put to the test over the past week.



I'll start by talking about GIS. This tool is crucial to the job of a market manager, and in the field it works a bit slower than normal. This week, there were problems with the server that caused it to really slow down. I had to export pictures from GIS for a REC presentation. The exporting process was slow. I had to find comparables for my site. Moving around the map was slow. I needed to test a new GPS unit to make sure it would work in the field. The configuration was slow.



To complete sales forecasting, I had to open up a new model, market charts, and several other tools off of the Y drive. Pulling the data down seemed to take forever. While I was waiting for the tools to complete downloading to my desktop, I decided to set up meetings for webinars for next week. I realized that even though it is simple to make the meetings, it takes time to send all of them out. I had to write instructions and send invites to both my "buddies" on my taskforces and the team leads to make sure that everyone knows what is going on and how to link up the webinars. I also had to reach out to the team leads to find out if they were going to be using their personal computers or the computer in C to know which place to send the webinar invite. It's not a fast process.



I feel like a good amount of my time this week was spent looking at a computer screen as it processed data. For the future, I will download and enable market charts and the model early in the morning or late at night to make sure that all my my tools are ready for me when I am ready for them. This is one of the best practices of living remotely.

No comments:

Post a Comment